"AM" vs. DSB

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Nov 17 15:55:51 EST 1997

Joel:  DSB sounds exactly like SSB on the air.  The only difference is
that it transmits both sidebands, the upper and the lower, and there is
no carrier.  Obviously, if there is no carrier, it must be reinserted by
the BFO or product detector at the receiver, just like any other kind of
sideband.  It is not compatible with conventional double-sideband AM
using full carrier (plate or otherwise modulated).

On the screen control grid, cathode or other types of modulation:  Only
a plate modulated rig can be modulated 100%. It is the audio impressed
upon a carrier that gives it its intelligibility, obviously, therefore
the higher the percentage of modulation of a carrier, up to 100% (on
AM), the more solid the signal will be.  There are few things more
frustrating than having a carrier of, say 40 over 9 on your meter, full
quieting in the receiver, and this thin little voice coming over at 65%
modulation or less.  The only reason for means of modulation on AM other
than plate modulation was price.  For a kilowatt of AM carrier, you need
to impress 500 watts of audio to modulate it 100%.  That's a lot of iron
in power supplies and a lot of energy consumed in modulator tubes.
Plate modulation is the best form of AM modulation, but also the most
expensive.

I hope that clears the modulation question up somewhat!

73, Keith

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS