Transformer Identification

Rod Fitz-Randolph w5hvv at AENEAS.NET
Sat Apr 4 06:05:32 EST 1998

I have come into possession of an ironcore inductance.  It is wound
on standard 3-legged transformer style laminations that measure
3" wide by 2 1/2" high by 1 inch thick.

the wire on the inductance appears to be no. 12 or no. 14.  The
insulation between layers and between windings and laminations
appears to be quite heavy.  The resistance reading is 0.1 ohm or less
(but pretty close to 0.1 or slightly less).  The markings on its top are:

         1295575
        EC 519494
       183-124 WWC
         3527609

The unit has two leads (black) that are terminated in captive style
lugs (i.e., circular solderless lugs).  The exposed metal and the fish
paper around the windings (cover) appears to have been coated with the
yellowish anti-fungal material typical of military equipment in the past.

I might venture a guess that this was meant to be used as a filter
choke, although it might be that it was a splatter choke.... dunno!!

Does anyone have a clue as to its inductance, its manufacturer, or its
intended use?  It sure is made for large current and/or low inductance.
Anyone know how I can measure its inductance???????

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv at aeneas.net

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov