Ranger Grid problems *LAST POST*

Kenneth D. Grimm grimm at LYNCHBURG.NET
Sat Aug 15 16:15:13 EDT 1998

Keith Heitzmann wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Well this will be my last post on this Ranger. The next time I email
> anything out will be "For Sale".
>
> Do I sound frustrated......  you bet!!
>
> Ok, to recap, the radio is getting very little grid drive. Sandy, W5TVW,
> gave me a good hint and led me to the 18K resistor in the VFO as it
> "seemed" to work with a crystal in it. I replaced the resistor and it
> perked it up a bit, but not enough.  It's a little better with a crystal
> than using the VFO, but even with a crystal the grid goes to nothing from
> 40 up
>
> I just found another hint, it seems to have enough grid drive on 160 meters
> with the VFO switched in. On 80 it goes down considerably and from 40 up
> it's nothing. When the meter is switched in to the "osc" and "buffer" it
> seems to be OK, but no grid.
>
> All the tubes have been checked and rechecked, with some being replaced
> just for good measure.
>
> Signed "desperate"
>
> (Keith,  KK5FE)

If any of you RF wizards have not replied to Keith because you don't
have a schematic of the Ranger, I have just uploaded the Ranger manual
to BAMA.  Why not download the schematic and see if you can figure out
where Keith's grid drive is hiding?
73,
--
Ken K4XL
grimm at lynchburg.net
Boatanchor Manual Archive - ftp://bama.sbc.edu

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS