Chirpy Viking Ranger

Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph w5hvv at AENEAS.NET
Wed Feb 4 21:20:25 EST 1998

I am in the process of attempting to repair a Viking Ranger for a
friend of mine that has entrusted it to me for that purpose (talk
about mis-guided trust!).  I have used kerosene to clean up the
chassis and so forth and it looks like a million dollars now.....
but the purpose he gave it to me was to get it to quite chirping and
migrating up the frequency while transmitting.  I have removed the
side panel from the VFO unit and the OA2 is glowing all the time;
just a tad less when the key is down, so I discount it as a problem.
I don't have (at the moment) a spare 6AU6 to try but can get one from
my supply tomorrow or the next day.

My question is: is there anyone out there that has encountered a
similar problem and is there something easy to do that will correct
it?  I have an absolute horror of trying to remove the entire VFO so
that I may get to any temperature sensitive capacitors or the tuning
capacitor.  It appears that I would have to take off the front panel.
I am not into that much pain.  Is there anything else that is a
viable alternative?  Anyone had to fix a similar problem on their
Viking Ranger and can tell me where to go to look for the problem?

Thanks,

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv at aeneas.net

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov