Nostalgia!

Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph w5hvv at AENEAS.NET
Tue Jan 6 21:52:44 EST 1998

>Well, I got my Ranger working a while ago. Used it for the first
>time on 40CW the other night...and got the first OO report I have
>received in 40 years! For Chirp! Must have been a BAer, as he
>suggested running the Ranger VFO on 160 for 40. Anyone tried that?
>Seems to only chirp on 40M.

John L. Sielke n4js
Well, Damn!  Just what is the criteria for acceptable and unacceptable
frequency deviation during a dot or a dash?  Just what constitutes a
"chirp"?  Where in the regs does it state that one can not have a chirp?
In my humble opinion, I can copy a chirpy signal in QRM better than I
can a "clean" one that seems to get lost in all the other "clean" ones!
I use to love to copy the Russian amateurs when they were still using the
old tank transmitters all the way up into the '60s!  They were so easy to
pick out of the QRM and follow!

My little "Fierce 1 3/4 Watter" (117L7/M7) chirps!  I like that chirp!  It
lends character, sorta like the lines on an old man's face as compared to
youngsters that show no character because they have not "lived"!!!  Our
rigs LIVE!!!!  I refuse to concern myself about a little chirp.  I will
try to adjust my xtal rigs as best I can for the least chirp but BY GAWD
if it chirps a little after my best efforts, so be it.  I'll name it "Chirpy"
instead of "The Fierce 1 3/4 Watter".

There now the gas pains are subsiding and maybe I can get some sleep!

Signed,

The Ol' Coot

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv at aeneas.net