HV PWR XFORMER-gud idea

Richard Carroll w0ex at SCAN.MISSOURI.ORG
Wed Jan 21 19:57:34 EST 1998

VAN LINCOLN wrote:

> Heard a couple hams on 2 meters this morning discussing a really good idea.
> Thought I'd  pass it along on the internet.
>
> One of the hams talking said he found that in OLD MICROWAVE OVEN's, was an
> undiscovered
> resource.  Namely the HV transformer that powers the Magnetron Tube.  He
> has observed that
> most of the transformers have a HV winding of +/- 2000 VAC (single winding)
> @ usually
> about 500 ma. capacity.  AND a 110 VAC primary.   This means that two
> transformers matched of course, and placed in series, will provide 4000 VAC
> centertapped, and 110vac/220vac primarys AT 1/2 an AMP, which is
> more than enough to power that linear amp he wanted to build.  Also, old
> worn out Microwaves can be had
> for free or very cheaply at service dealers, and the local paper want ads.
> FYI from a 'fellow junk collector'
> wd8aam.....this can be copied freely for any use.

  I have a friend who works in electronics repair and who investigated
the use of microwave power transformers in amp power supplies....He
found that they draw a rather high no-load current on their primary
windings, around 2.5 to 3 amps, depending on the size of the xfmr. You
can hook up one to 120vac and measure the primary current with a snap-on
type inductive ammeter--I did and confirmed his finding.  If you are
willing to allow that much no-load loss they should be usable.
You will notice that the transformer laminations are welded together,
and this would increase core losses.

Dick W0EX

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov