Movie on AMC

Don Buska d.buska at AAIATE.COM
Wed Jun 10 11:43:38 EDT 1998

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:02:00 -0500, Adam Liette wrote:

>Thought it was kinda cool. Never thought there was Ham Radio in a Mickey
>Rooney movie!

Adam,

Those Andy Hardy flicks are great classics.  I think there were like 12
or 13 movies in the whole series.  I've got 7 of them so far on VHS (in
fact just got "Judge Hardy and Son" off of AMC or TCM this past weekend).
They make great watching on those lazy Sunday afternoons.  I have the one
that you mentioned also.

If you want a nice vintage movie that covers ham radio check out
"Everyone Hobby" from 1938.  It was on TCM (Turners Classic Movies) a
couple of years back.  Probably 50% of the movie involves ham radio, with
lots of neat footage of old transmitters and receivers.  The movie is
only one hour long, but truely worth watching.  I pull that tape out at
least twice a year and watch it!   The best part is when the newly
licensed young ham (one of the stars of the movie) is walking out of the
radio store with his new three foot high rack transmitter (semi-portable
no less) and he has a little tiff with his girl friend who is passing by.

Store owner after girl walks away:  Wasn't that your girl friend?

Our Star to Radio Store Owner:  Girls and Radios just don't mix!

Store Owner:  Yeah, ham radio has that affect on a fella.

Things just don't change, hi!!!

Even uses real code, when the kids dad walks into the room and he is
chatting with a friend on CW.  He sends to friend:

QRX PSE A MIN

Hope Turner shows this flick again so those with VCR's (like everyone
these days) can capture it.  Maybe a mass emailing to TCM will get them
to show it again.  I'd like to re-record it as mine is missing some of
the opening headers.

73

Don N9OO

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov