::::: THANKS! :::::

David Fouchey dafouche at JAX-INTER.NET
Sat Jun 20 18:30:43 EDT 1998

At 10:12 AM 6/19/98 -0700, Chris Trask wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Brian Carling wrote:
>
>> I used to buy parts mail-order from Cameradio, Lafayette and Allied,
>> and I spent HOURS poring through the catalogs back in those days,
>> trying to imagine all of the ham and CB radios that they pictured in
>> B/W with (sometimes) hand drawn pictures of the sets!
>>
>> As a teenager I didn't have much cash, so usually rolled my own or
>> scrounged parts etc. I built one rig using a BC-614 plug-in with an
>> 807 modulated by a 6L6 (I think!) or something like that!
>>

>        Here too.  I had a small paper route and scrounged parts from
>old TV sets that people threw out, as well as parts from a junk yard
>in New Cumberland (PA).  Paper route income went to Poly Paks, Olson,
>and Burstein-Applebee, plus an occasional Heathkit, all of which I
>still have.  If not for those sources, I would not have learned as
>much about this stuff and might not be where I am now.
>
>        You can't get anyone interested in even looking at a soldering
>iron anymore.

No kidding. I first started out tearing apart ac/dc "Kitchen" radios and
then trying to put them back together "better", hey I was 10<G>! Later I
used to save up money from shoveling snow or cutting grass, depending on
the season as well as "junk picking" on trash day for old tv's stereos etc.
First reciever was an SX-25 which I got off an "Elmer" for $15 in '66.
Built my novice transmitter on an old steel chemistry set case using a 6c4
osc. and a 6dq6 for the final. all the parts were scrounged from television
& radio sets except for the hand wound coil in the tank circuit &
oscillator (added a meter later which I managed to scrounge, initialy I
used a florecent bulb next to the output coil and tuned for maximum
brightness and listened for signal "purity" on the SX-25). Later was able
to get just about anything I wanted at a store called Radio Supply &
Engineering in East. Detroit. Great place, the counter guys new there stuff
and the parts selection was incredible.  Now its mail order & swap meets or
forget it. As for the Allied and Lafyette catalogs those were wish books
for sure! Though I did order coil forms from them to build a 10 & 15 meter
converter to use with a 3-6 Mc. Command receiver as the IF.  And I must
admit I am still a bit of a throwback, my newest rig is my HW-101 which I
built around 1976... And I just managed to aquire an SX-25 in my quest to
repriese my Novice Station. Though this time I think I'll use an aluminium
chassis, much easier to fabricate and make cutouts on. I just found some
5R4 rectifiers, and I think I'll use a different oscillator tube & final
but the essence will still be there...

Got me waxing nostalgic now...

73's
Dave