FS: ARRL Handboooks & publications

Jim Strohm jstrohm at TEXAS.NET
Sun Mar 22 20:44:01 EST 1998

w0ex at SCAN.MISSOURI.ORG <DICK W0EX> displays his mercenary side when he writes:

>I have the following ARRL handbooks to sell:
>
>Hardbound..... all binding and covers are excellent, very good to
>excellent condition otherwise.  All have some library markings
>
>For Years:
>
> 1975 , 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984.
>
>I'll Sell the  9 for $140, or if no one wants them all, individually for
>$20 each.

He said something else but I (oops) erased it.

Gentlemen, I am deeply dismayed to see people like DICK offering
books for sale at such outrageously inflated prices.  I can only
hope that the ARRL will soon provide back issues of the Handbook
on CD-ROM, so that those of us who need the information can get it
at a fair cost, and those of us who choose to give DICK his due
will pay his exorbitant, obscene, rapacious, gouging prices
for the Handbook.

I have long since lost sight of the vision of Ham brotherhood on
this particular mail list.  Now I'm mostly amused, and occasionally
take note of the most egregious offenders of common decency and what
we used to describe as the love of the hobby.

DICK, I hope I sent you to the dictionary so you could be adequately
insulted.  As for the rest of us -- true, some among us will pay these
prices for a book.  I never have and I never will -- and I sold my
Handbook collection (spanning five decades) at a fair price ($4 each) so that
fellow hams could share my joy with these books.

Jim N6OTQ

Oh yeah -- DICK mentions "library markings"  -- what he doesn't mention
is that when libraries retire books, they do so for FREE -- where's DICK's
Ham spirit when he offers to sell for $20 each some stuff that he got
for free -- or possibly, even filched out of a dumpster?  Not to say
it's bad to pick trash, just that it's not in the spirit of amateur radio
to pick trash and sell it at $20 a piece.

Jim Strohm
jstrohm at texas.net

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov