FS: ARRL Handboooks & publications

David L. Stinson arc5 at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sun Mar 22 22:20:53 EST 1998

This post is out of line, Jim.
I don't want to spend $20 each either.  That doesn't make the offer "wrong."
"Ham Spirit" has nothing to do with it.  These books are part of his
assets.  He is not obligated to sell his assets for less then their
market value in a vain attempt to appear "saintly" or in the "spirit"
of anything.  Our successful Free Market system defines a "fair price"
this way:  A buyer and a seller agree.  Period.  What a third party
thinks of the transaction is irrelevent.  If $20 is "too much," there
will be no agreeable buyer and he will adjust his price.

Who are you, and who am *I*, to determine what the "Spirit of Ham Radio"
IS, anyway??  He went to the time and trouble to bring these
books to market so someone who cares for them can own them.
Believe me-- that's a job.  *I* think that's entirely in the "Spirit of
Ham Radio," as it helps both the buyer and seller once a "fair price,"
(i.e. one on which they both agree) has been reached.  Now, you disagree
about the "spirit" thing here.  I guess that's why it's useless to
argue "spirit" when it comes to commerce, Jim.  None of us is going
to agree, so let the time-proven Free Market decide.

On the "cost" of his assets-- this is again irrelevent.  He has an
asset.  He spent time, money and effort to make it available.
He makes an agreement.  He delivers as agreed.  That is all
that matters.  End of story.  Besides-- I've bought retired books
from librarys all my life and NEVER got one for free... so where
are you shopping??

Let's not argue the "Spirit of Ham Radio."
You think it means he should play "Saint Ham" and give-away his assets.
I think it means he spent his effort to make them available to other hams.
These opinions are irreconcilable.
Debating Metaphysics is a fool's game, so we won't even go there.
This is why the Free Market is so successful.  It removes the
emotional opinions and demands pragmatic negotiation and agreement.

The bottom line--  He's within his rights and morally justified by the
standards of our Free Market society.  Neither you nor I have a
right to belittle him or anyone else for this before the group.

73 DE Dave Stinson AB5S
arc5 at ix.netcom.com

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov