FS: ARRL Handboooks & publications

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Mon Mar 23 00:20:57 EST 1998

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 oolong at netcom.ca wrote:

> Hi, Chris
> I am with you on this one.
> It bothers me when people waste bandwidth on a public form/reflector
> with a message which is in private nature. Please deal this things
> with private e-mail between concerned.
> Some say, if you don't like what you see just hit "DEL" key but this is
> not the point here, if you understand what I mean.
> 73,
> Tony, VE6CGX

        None of us are immune from the __________ police.  So far, I have
received mail from:

        1.      Hyphen patrol.  Some fellow was going through the tech-
                nical references on my web page and was upset with the
                way professional papers are hyphenated.  His web browser
                didn't like it.  Sometimes we have to just do it on our
                own because there are no firm guidelines.  I sometimes
                like to use Fred Allen's approach and have a couple of
                lines of extra puctuation marks that others can use as
                they see fit.

        2.      Protect American Spelling Patrol (Amerikanish Uber Alles).
                Yet another insecure individual who felt extremely uncom-
                fortable with the fact that American spelling and grammar
                is an isolated subset of English usage.  He had looked at
                my pseudo-resume on my web page and went off the deep end.
                He should be French.  Wanted to know if I'd ever been in a
                Turkish prison (!?!).  Makes me more determined to write a
                serious technical paper in Elizabethan English, just for
                the hell of it.

        3.      The Anti-Education League of America.  You see this one
                all of the time, everywhere you go.  Right out of George
                Orwell's "1984" (Ignorence is Strength).

        And, of course,

        4.      The Price is Wrong.  Guess who??

        Is this a great country, or what??

     ,----------------------.       Circuit Design for the
    /    What's all this     \            RF Impaired
   / extinct stuff, anyhow?  /
   \  _______,--------------'        Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                               Principal Engineer
 oo\                                 ATG Design Services
(__)\       _                          P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                  Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                     Technical Editor,
     .       (  ) \                      QRP Quarterly
      '-| )__| :.  \                     QRP ARCI 9464
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__      Email:  ctrask at primenet.com
                               http://www.primenet.com/~ctrask

                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov