FS: ARRL Handboooks & publications

Richard Carroll w0ex at SCAN.MISSOURI.ORG
Mon Mar 23 00:34:24 EST 1998

     I didn't expect to feel the need to respond further but, Jim, for a guy who
came on
as a flaming altruist, you're trying awfully hard to be a complete ass.
    The nine hardbound Handbooks I offered to sell  were purchased from a ham
acquaintance in a city a hundred miles distant, where they obviously once resided
in the county library as shown by a stamp in each. I don't know how he came by
them, nor  what he had invested since neither was not germaine to our transaction.

I know I gave him a fair price for them and he and I were both happy with it.
That was several years ago. If you think that there is no market for older
handbooks today you haven't been paying attention. And as you have seen, the
gentleman that  bought them is happy with the them.
  The remainder of the books were from my accumulaton of many years.
   I can't help thinking that you feel cheated because you sold your collection of

handbooks so cheaply. Gee, I've done that many times, too, and finally wised up a
little after watching someone that I gave a great deal, profit from it as I could
have
myself. It makes you feel that you have cheated yourself. So why do it? I've given

many books and pieces of gear, free, to other hams. And I very likely will again.
know that I've given far more than I ever received, but as a beginner long ago, I
was on the receiving end, too and I haven't forgotten. But is's a bit
disheartening to
see you so bent out of shape about this. In no way does it warrant it.

Dick W0EX

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS