GB> Looking for info on beam-deflection tube mixers

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Wed May 6 15:40:51 EDT 1998

On Wed, 6 May 1998, michael silva wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking out my next project, a portable CW transceiver, and I'd
> like to know what you all know about using beam-deflection tubes (not
> the 7360 due to its cost, but I've got some 6ME8s floating around) as
> mixers and detectors.  What exactly are the advantages in both mixer
> and detector service?  I gather that they are fairly quiet -- true?
> Any other reason to use or not use them in either circuit application?

        Another envelope is the 6AR8.  These tubes were very susceptible
to magnetice fields (just like a CRT) and were usually shielded.  For all
intents and purposes, they are very much like a long-tailed pair, which
is a differential pair of triodes having a common cathode which is then
connected to the plate of a third tube used as a current source.  For
mixers, modulators, and synchronous detectors they're great.

     ,----------------------.       Circuit Design for the
    /    What's all this     \            RF Impaired
   / extinct stuff, anyhow?  /
   \  _______,--------------'        Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                               Principal Engineer
 oo\                                 ATG Design Services
(__)\       _                          P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                  Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                     Technical Editor,
     .       (  ) \                      QRP Quarterly
      '-| )__| :.  \                     QRP ARCI 9464
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__      Email:  ctrask at primenet.com
                               http://www.primenet.com/~ctrask

                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov