GB> Looking for info on beam-deflection tube mixers

Ben Bradley benbradley at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed May 6 20:23:55 EDT 1998

At 12:40 PM 5/6/98 -0700, Chris Trask wrote:
>On Wed, 6 May 1998, michael silva wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm thinking out my next project, a portable CW transceiver, and I'd
>> like to know what you all know about using beam-deflection tubes (not
>> the 7360 due to its cost, but I've got some 6ME8s floating around) as
>> mixers and detectors.  What exactly are the advantages in both mixer
>> and detector service?  I gather that they are fairly quiet -- true?
>> Any other reason to use or not use them in either circuit application?
>        Another envelope is the 6AR8.  These tubes were very susceptible
>to magnetice fields (just like a CRT) and were usually shielded.  For all
>intents and purposes, they are very much like a long-tailed pair, which
>is a differential pair of triodes having a common cathode

   I haven't heard of this type of tube (and I'm not a stranger to these
things, I remember a couple decades ago reading about what was most probably
the 7360 in an SSB/DSB exciter circuit). Do you have any type numbers? Would
any be in an RCA Receiving manual, or are these considered 'transmitting'
types (as I imagine the 7360 is)?

   To answer Michael's question, I think there should be info on these in
the early '70's or earlier ARRL handbooks/"SSB for the Radio Amateur" or
similar ARRL tech publication. I do remember reading about the 7360 in an
SSB and/or DSB exciter circuit in such a book in the early '70's as a
teenager - I was a very young teenager in the early '70's :-)


--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
To subscribe: listserv at
and in body: subscribe BOATANCHORS yourfirstname yourlastname
To unsubscribe:  listserv at
and in body: signoff BOATANCHORS
Archives for BOATANCHORS:
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --

More information about the Boatanchors mailing list