CD quality Was: Re: Radio Era Archives QST CD Roms

Christian Fandt cfandt at NETSYNC.NET
Tue Feb 9 15:55:19 EST 1999

Upon the date 12:31 PM 2/9/99 -0500, Carl Hyde said something like:
>I just received the REA 1970 to 1979 QSTs on CD Rom and they are great!

I heard comments last year either here or on a USENET newsgroup that the
quality of the images was poor (both text and photos). Does this mean the
League has republished the CD's with an aim to make them better?

I've been holding off getting the CD's because of this. For research
purposes, I would need to occasionally make clear printouts of text pages
or ads.

Any opinions in addition to Carl's on the viewing and print quality?

>Nice index and all articles and adds are there.  You can even search on
>subject matter.  Best of all I can throw out all the old QSTs creating
>mold in my basement.  That'll make more room for Boatanchors.  The 70s

Better to send them to a library who will for sure keep them in their
archives (if they're not too moldy). If they're too moldy and scuzzy then
the paper recycler should get them, especially if your area requires paper
recycling.

>had some great antenna articles and equipment reviews for the
>modernistically challenged radio afficianado.  I'm getting the 80s
>next.  Funny though how much better QST was back then.

Indeed so!

Regards,  Chris
-- --
Christian Fandt,         Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY  USA      cfandt at netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov