4 Sale Hallicrafter SX-88, and R-46B

Perry Ballinger w8au at SSSNET.COM
Thu Feb 18 16:48:29 EST 1999

At 06:49 AM 2/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
While the SX-88 is not much of a radio, it is one of
>the most highly prized models among Hallicrafters collectors.
>--
>Ken K4XL

...Compared to what?

As an SX-88 owner for 30 years, plus owning all the Collins line up thru
the S-line, I can tell you that a properly operating SX-88 beat the Collins
in selectivity, audio, frequency coverage, "tuning feel" (weighted, gear
driven dials) and overall human engineering and satisfaction.  I once did
A/B tests between it and my wonderful 75A4...and noticed that it had better
weak signal performance on ten meters.
It didn't have the frequency accuracy or the product detector.  "Sideband
selection" required a knowledge of how to adjust the BFO to either side of
the passband, also.  No problem if you were more than an appliance operator.
Although not having the prestige of Collins, it was the top of the line for
Hallicrafters.  I wished they had continued offering these "extras" in
their succeeding models, but such was not always the case.
The $1500 offering is surely fair for this day and age of "collectorism"
and altho I miss having one, I'm very happy to have the memories.

73,
Perry w8au

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov