Rust spots on radio cabinet

Chuck Tappe cwtappe at CONNECTNET.COM
Sat Jul 3 10:21:44 EDT 1999

Well Larry, having done all too many of these projects, this is what works
the best for me. Heavy pitting means you clean it as best you can to remove
surface crud  -  then you wind-up with a pitted piece of gear. That's the
reality, short of removing all components and "surfacing" the chassis. This
is realistically not an option. For heavy oxidation without heavy pitting,
naval jelly works great as a first step. Remember not to leave the goop on
too long before rinsing with water to neutralize the process. Next, 0000
steel wool, rubbed lightly in one direction. Clean the chassis with 409 to
remove the residue from the metal and steel wool. Last step is to rub-out
chassis with Blue Magic, a product bought at automotive stores. It might
then be a good idea to lightly apply a good paste wax for protection.

I've used this method on MANY MANY pieces of expensive gear and have never
had an unfavorable result. As an aside, don't leave 409 sitting on bare
metal  -  clean it off completely. It WILL etch the metal.

73's
Chuck
K3UBD

-----Original Message-----
From:   Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Larry Knapp
Sent:   Saturday, July 03, 1999 6:24 AM
To:     BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject:        Rust spots on radio cabinet

To the list:  I know there are some of you out there who can assist in this.
recently purchased a radio accessory with what I believe are rust spots
(from
perhaps humidity down south) on the cabinet.  I tried to clean then off with
my
usual radio cleaners but they are still there.  The piece is in great
electrical shape & works fine but would just like to restore this "puppy" to
great super condition.  I though of using Naval Jelly.  Is this ok?  Perhaps
someone has a better idea.

===
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's