Why Paint ?

Floyd Sense sentek at SPRINTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 17 15:13:52 EDT 1999

Well, I've completely lost count of the number of boatanchors I've brought
back to life over the years.  I don't do the restorations for a profit- I
doubt that is even possible.   I do know that they're a lot easier to sell
when I'm ready for something new if they're clean, repainted if necessary,
and 100% electronically.  The ones I've acquired that were in sad physical
condition were pretty sad electronically also.

Some suggestions:

If you don't have the skill and equipment to do a top notch repaint job,
don't do ANYTHING to it.  (OK- so maybe clean it anyway!)

If you carry this stuff around to hamfests in your car, please wrap each
piece in something soft so you don't add to the cabinet damage with each
trip.

If you're "restoring" the electronics, do it right.  Amazing what a complete
re-cap job will do on a good receiver or transmitter.

Don't store the gear in hot attics or damp basements.