Winding high power xmit toroids

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Fri Jun 25 12:27:41 EDT 1999

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Lane Zeitler wrote:

> I am beginning the process of winding some toroid coils that are going to be
> used in a 1500 watt hf amp. The cores are T-225 and are supposedly good for
> 1500 watts but I figure to be safe I will use two sandwiched together.
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do the two toroid cores need to be insulated from each other or can I
> just place them tightly next to each other and then wrap them as a package?

        Tightly together as a single toroid.

> 2. What is the best thing to use to hold them together as one piece? Some
> kind of fiberglass tape? Can I buy the stuff at Home Depot?

        Super-glue.

> 3. I am using teflon insulated wire. Do I need to insulate the cores before
> applying the wire?

        No.  You might consider using magnet wire instead.  The insulation
will handle the higher temperatures better.

> Any info greatly appreciated. This is my real first attempt at using toroid
> coils for 160, 80 and 40 meters instead of the regular air wound type a la'
> B & W style.

        Too bad that stuff is almost history now.

Chris

     ,----------------------.       Circuit Design for the
    /    What's all this     \            RF Impaired
   / extinct stuff, anyhow?  /
   \  _______,--------------'        Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                               Principal Engineer
 oo\                                 ATG Design Services
(__)\       _                          P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                  Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                     Technical Editor,
     .       (  ) \                      QRP Quarterly
      '-| )__| :.  \                     QRP ARCI 9464
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__      Email:  ctrask at primenet.com
                               http://www.primenet.com/~ctrask

                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov