Audiophiles

Brian Carling af4k at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Nov 16 17:53:01 EST 1999

No, they must be similar to those "antenna matching units" that were
hawked in QST a few years ago, and had a fancy PC board inside them.
The ads claimed that they could give you a 1:1 SWR when placed across
the terminals of ANY mismatched antenna in the range 1.5 to 30 MHz.

In fact it turned out that these sealed, potted gadgets had only a 100 ohm 50
watt resistor as the functional element. (or was it a 52 ohm one, I forget now!)

Yes of course you got a great-looking SWR reading, but dumped about half
or 2/3 of your RF into heat conversion, dissipating it away into the resistor!

TRULY a "DUMMY load!" to those who bought one!