Bit - really HARD!

N5AIT Allan Stephens MODSTEPH at ACS.EKU.EDU
Wed Oct 20 16:10:03 EDT 1999

Gang:

     Two nights ago I put the Lysco 600 on the air.  Was doing
fine with it... but in the course of things the back of my hand
came across the key terminals and I got bit - HARD!  Over the
years I have got zapped, of course, but this really hit me.

     Next day, as soon as I finished repairing my VOM, I checked
the voltage across the key -- about 450 volts...  Certainly enough
to kill the unwary/unknowing.  I remembered what I had encountered
when inside the Lysco a few days earlier: there was a resistor
string that went to the key jack, with a final 1250 ohm resistor
across the jack.  The entire string had been replaced by a single
resistor - across the jack - correct TOTAL resistance so the rig
operated OK, but that put the full voltage on the key.

     So it looks like I WILL go back in and restore it to its
original configuration, just as a safety feature if nothing else.
I had noted what had been done in the change, but had not thought
through it...  At least I am still around to learn from this one.

     73,  Al  N5AIT