Vintage broadcast towers

George Maier gmaier at ULTRANET.COM
Wed Apr 19 22:10:09 EDT 2000

Ron:
I can't answer all of the questions, but I can fill in part of the
equation.  Prior to the availability of strobe lights the FAA required
seven bands of alternating paint colors, starting with International
Orange on the bottom, and alternating with white as you go up the
tower.  With seven color changes, both the bottom and the top were
orange.  The height of the color bands were simply the tower height
divided by seven.   What I don't know is when the practice was started,
but I'd guess it was in the 30's or 40's.
Vy 73
George Maier - K1GXT