T-X4B restored

Allan Stephens modsteph at ACS.EKU.EDU
Mon Aug 28 09:11:18 EDT 2000

Thanks to all who submitted tips, suggestions of things to check, etc.

     I wound up re-wiring the bias circuitry: two new caps, two new
resistors.
Works fine (got the right electrical and physical sizes put in,
replacing some
earlier fixes which had changed both and led to the problems - finding a

bad solder joint along the way too).  Of course, the excess plate
current
which happened when it was not supposed to be happening - and I did
not notice at first, having just turned the thing on, managed to fry the

6JB6's in the final enough that they needed replacing too (*sigh*).
Felt
like the guy who dropped the sack from the liquor store, heard something

break and muttered "Please let it be the Vermouth!"  Of course, it
wasn't.

     So 2000 has been a busy repair year.  So far fixed HQ-110, NC-155,
R-4B, two T-4XB's (finals in the other one too), Knight 50 Watt
Transmitter,
Globe Chief 90A, Viking I, DX-20, NCX-3 (and have found good homes for
most
so far).  Still on the "projects" pile are NC-98, NC-303, HRO-50,
Ranger II, Valiant I, Invader 2000, TX-1 Apache, SB-10, VF-1, HG-10B,
and a couple I'll probably just pass along to someone else who has more
time and fewer projects, including a Millen 90810 and the Johnson VHF
receiving converter.

     Well, keeps me busy and off the streets at night.  Now I gotta
finish
up the CX newsletter (ten pages so far) and get that out.  And once in a

while get on the air!

     73,  Al  N5AIT