Suitable Speaker for Drake R8 ??

Ron Evans cosmos41 at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sat May 13 03:05:57 EDT 2000

Please forgive me for this slightly "off base" post as the Drake R8
receiver doesn't really qualify for boatanchor status.  I'll keep it
short.  The rcvr comes with an internal speaker but many users recommend
an external speaker.  And most of these users do NOT recommend the
matching speaker...the
MS8.

The excellent "Passport to World Band Radio" says in its "con" portion
of the review on the R8B, "Virtually requires a good outboard speaker
for non-headphone listening, but optional Drake MS8 outboard speaker not
equal to the receiver's audio potential; try a good amplified computer
speaker or high-efficiency passive speaker instead."

Question: Can some R8 (or R8A, R8B) owner suggest a specific speaker
that meets the recommendation above?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Ron - K5MVR