Viking II puzzler

Gary Schafer gschafer at MEDIAONE.NET
Mon May 15 14:39:36 EDT 2000

Paul

When you say "with no results" does that mean it did not oscillate in that mode or it did not fix it? Does it oscillate with the mike gain turned all the way down ? You might try shorting the grid of the audio driver tube to ground and see if that cures it. If so look for rf getting in the audio chain. When you put the 2 k load on the mod transformer did it oscillate then? I assume at that point you had removed the 6146s so no rf? Check to see if the resistors are in series with the grids of the 807s. Could be a parasitic in the 807s if someone took them out. Also check the b+ bypass caps for the low level audio stages. If one is open it could cause feedback via the B+. Also check to see if someone has added negative feedback from one plate of an 807 or from the secondary of the mod transformer back to the mod driver or second speach amp. If so and if the plate caps are reversed on the 807s it will make a good oscillator.

Good luck
Gary  K4FMX