Always Replace All The Capacitors? & BA Values

Greg Gore GARDGORE at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 12 19:40:20 EDT 2001

<< You revisit the classic question of "collect for the sake of collecting"
     (to display the equipment, or trade for profit) or collect for the sake
     of experiencing through use the "golden age" of boatanchors.>>

<<My personal interest lies in the challenge and self satisfaction of
    repairing the gear and enjoying the operation. The ultimate dollar value
    of the equipment is of secondary importance to me.>>

    Dave, W5WP>>

I agree with your position Dave which is why I said I don't mind diving right
in to "restore" what would otherwise amount to an unwanted junker. Whatever
you do to the set is probably an improvement and if you decide on a
modification no important history is compromised for future generations to
study. Restoration is an opportunity to learn new skills and gain valuable
experience. When the finished results are good you will experience personal
satisfaction and sense of accomplishment that comes with the success of your
efforts and in recognizing the advancement of your refurbishing skills. There
is possibly too much urgency though to make every radio work and look like
new again by replacing everything with modern components and we should save
something for future generations to study and this includes original
component construction. Personally I have radios that I have fixed up and
enjoy using and have others that are examples of original construction that
will remain untouched storehouses of history as long as I have them. I enjoy
owning, collecting and using both types. Now about BA dollar value being
secondary in nature, not that important please allow me ask you this. Suppose
you were at a hamfest somewhere and happened to be the first to spot an SX-88
that a seller was asking $100 for and you bought it and took it home
(happened recently, reported here). You play around with it for a while and
later decide you don't want to keep it, you want to sell it and get something
else. What price will you decide to sell it for? Will you pass along your
good fortune to the next buyer? Was it good fortune to begin with or was it
something else? Let me tell you a true story about BA values and two ham
friends of mine that I see at all the local hamfests around here. They are
both hams and interested in and enjoy using vintage gear and both would help
a fellow ham but in personal philosophy they are very different. If friend #
1 was looking for an SX-88 and was first to see the above mentioned one for
$100 and wanted it he would first ask the seller if he knew it was actually
worth much more. If the seller wasn't aware of the current market value
friend # 1 would tell him what it was and then offer to pay that amount. He
doesn't tell us he does this, you hear it from a surprised seller once in a
while. This is just the way he does things, I have personally witnessed it.
Friend # 2 on the otherhand being the one to spot the above mentioned SX-88
would first express surprise to the seller at $100 for such an old outdated
receiver and try to get it for less. If he was successful he would be most
pleased with himself and enjoy proclaiming this windfall among us as proof
his negotiating and hamfest ability was far superior to ours and we would all
have to listen to this story over and over.

Have fun collecting,
Greg Gore; WA1KBQ