Plate caps

Fred Olsen fwolsen at EXECPC.COM
Fri Jun 1 22:41:42 EDT 2001

Wayne, Ed, Al, et al,

If you can get it, the best thing is 'the real stuff', which would be
Sauereisen cement.  The nasty brown cement in tube bases and under the
plate caps is a phenolic-based adhesive specific to the task.  I don't
know if they still make it but perhaps one of us should inquire.  I too
need to repair some tubes one of these days, and this inquiry has been
on my vast "to do" list for some time.  Here's their site:
and go to "Specialty Cements" for a start.  There's also a company in
the U.K. which makes similar products ("lamp cement") under license from
And you're right, Al.  Coefficient of expansion IS an important
consideration in this application.


More information about the Boatanchors mailing list