SCR-522 info wanted (demo charges in radios)

Ron Thomas rthomas at ZEBRA.NET
Tue Oct 30 07:57:51 EST 2001

Some of the early APX gear (aircraft IFF transponders) had demo charges in them.  But I
have never seen demo charges in comm gear.  When I used to fly in Navy ASW aircraft, most
of the comm gear (except for one UHF radio) was identified with a piece of reflective
white tape for jettison.  This meant that if you were going down, this gear was to be
removed and thrown out of the aircraft prior to bail out or ditching.  This supposedly
accomplished two things:  it lightened the aircraft which would allow it to fly farther on
less fuel, and it got rid of "sensitive" equipment that we didn't want falling into the
wrong hands.  But IFF equipment stayed on board until the very last second when the
aircrew would activate the destruct switch, igniting the charges and destroying the
equipment.  I doubt that much of this equipment escaped the military system with charges
installed, however.

Regards,

Ron  N4RT