Did anyone use balloons for HF antennas in WW II

J. Forster jfor at ONEMAIN.COM
Sat Sep 1 03:14:09 EDT 2001

Does anyone know if balloons, such as barrage balloons, were used as sky hooks
for lifting HF antennas in WW II. I know about the Gibson Girl with it's kite
and balloon, but was wondering if balloons were ever used for larger antennas.
Certainly, the lifting capability was there.

The reason I'm interested is that a number of people are planning a number of
trans-atlantic QSOs using WW II equipment this winter, and, because of limited
real estate, this could be an alternative antenna configuration. I'd like to
know if it's authentic. It could certainly have been done, but was it?

TIA,
John