Johnson Viking Navigator - Dial Problem

Ron Evans cosmos41 at IX.NETCOM.COM
Thu Feb 21 06:28:41 EST 2002

Hi, Fellow Anchorites,

I purchased a Johnson Viking Navigator a couple of years ago and am just
now getting around to getting it ready to go on the air.  The first
problem is that turning the VFO indicator is VERY difficult, not at all
like on my Ranger.  It's sluggish in a way that suggests some dried up
grease or similar somewhere along the way from the large frequency knob
to capacitor C1 itself.

Not having the construction instructions, I'm not sure where or how to
start.  Capacitor C1 is nestled deeply in a metallic shield, which
doesn't appear all that difficult to remove, if necessary, but I don't
want to launch out into those waters if the problem is more likely to be
toward the front or frequency knob side of the assembly, in which case
how do I proceed?

Has anyone had any experience with this problem, and would you throw a
lifeline to someone who is floundering in murky waters?  Would it help
if I could get a copy of the construction instructions?

73,

Ron -  K5MVR
K5MVR - Loving the "glow" since 1957
K (Kilo) 5 (Five) M (Mercury) V (Vapor)  R (Rectifier)
mailto: cosmos41 at ix.netcom.com
http://www.geocities.com/sweetvengeance