No subject

Keith Rowland k4kgw at ATTBI.COM
Sat May 11 23:35:36 EDT 2002

During his experiments which led to his formulation of "Ohm's Law," Georg Simon
Ohm referred to the current in a circuit as "intensity," hence the "I" which is
still the usual designator for current.

I notice, however, that in some publications, "A" is now being used for current
(which makes more sense, because it is named after Ampere, a contemporary of
Ohm's), and NASA (and possibly some others) uses "V" instead of "E" for voltage.
The "E" derives from the term, "electromotive force," as you no doubt are aware,
whereas "V" is the initial of another early experimenter in the field, Alexandre
Volta, as also no doubt everyone knows.

Anyway, here is the "I" question answered.

Keith