Mate to the Mighty Midget Receiver Certificate?

W8KZW w8kzw at ARRL.NET
Wed May 29 14:24:21 EDT 2002

Scott,

Funny you should mention that!

My next planned homebrew project is that receiver!  I will marry it with a
30 watt, 6DQ6 transmitter I hombrewed as a novice in 1964 from an article in
the 1960 ARRL Handbook.  I'll also wire in my amp with a pair of 811-A's
from February 1966 QST.  Won't I be a homebrew terror!

Have you built one of these receivers?  I wonder if anyone has any comments
relative to its construction and/or performance.  It looks fairly
bullet-proof, other than the fact that I might go with a stouter audio
amplifier.

I have a spare Lafayette 455kc mechanical filter I am thinking of using for
an ssb passband along with the matched crystals for cw, and an RC circuit
for AM.

Jeff
W8KZW
w8kzw at arrl.net

Back in 1967 QST published an article on the Mighty Midget transmitter (Feb
67) and the Mate to the Mighty Midget receiver (April 67).   The April issue
mentioned a certificate from ARRL if you work all call districts with the
transmitter and receiver.   Do any of you guys actually have one of these or
know of anyone who got one?  Thanks.  73,  Scott WA9WFA in Saint Paul Minn