Rotten foam (kinda boatanchor related)

Scott Johnson scottjohnson1 at COX.NET
Sun Nov 3 13:05:16 EST 2002

I assume everyone has experienced this foam nightmare,and I too will don my
flameproof suit in preparation for what I am about to say.  I use either
Coleman fuel or Avgas to clean up the stuff.  Nothing works better.
Goof-Off kind of works, but no nearly as well. Obviously,be careful, do it
outdoors and wear gloves and any other protection you deem prudent. Don't
try to use auto gas,the parts will stink forever!
regards,
Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of C Stewart
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 10:38 AM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Rotten foam (kinda boatanchor related)

Folks, this is my first post and my fireproof suit is at the cleaners.....

I've looked around, and I can't seem to find anything about this topic.
Since it may be related to boatanchor restoration, I thought I'd ask you.

I've aquired an old military surplus frequency meter.  This thing could
LITERALLY be used as a boat anchor.  Case and all, it must weight at least
50lbs.  Anyway, in the cover of the case is a compartment that holds a spare
set of tubes, fuses, lunch, etc.  It is lined with a black, open cell foam
to keep the tubes and whatnot from breaking.  It is rotten.  I know that is
probably not the right word, but it smears and sticks to everything, and I
can detect a smell coming off of it when I open the compartment.  I am
worried that this stuff might be releasing schemicals that I wouldn't want
in my body.  I don't know the exact age, but the marking on the case is
AN/TSM-16 for those in the know.

Also, any ideas about cleaning tthis stuff up?  It's all over the tube boxes
and everything else that was in there.

Thanks.
--
Science has proven that the human body can tolerate nearly everything,
except death.

C. Stewart
nemisis at brunnet.net