304TL Tubes

Nigel Holmes 03 9626 1914 fax 03 9626 1899 holmes.nigel at ABC.NET.AU
Mon Apr 28 22:27:00 EDT 2003

304TL's were commonly found in industrial & commercial devices, a bit
like 6Y6 and 6B4G's (but obviously in bigger applications!) sort of next
step up from 810 or 8000.

I recall a 3000 volt regulated power supply for the magnet of a small
cyclotron at Monash University that used nine (!) 304TL in parallel.

They show up at Australian ham fests. Much less common is the socket,
but at this scale a  friendly turner & fitter can knock up something in
brass in a jiffy.

I wouldn't expect audiophiles to start squeaking excitedly over a 304TL
- they tend to fancy the singled-ended bottles so they can display the
naked spectacle of a 212E or a 845. A couple of kV on a top cap tends to
dampen even an audiophool's ardour after first contact... hence the
single-ended modern versions of "low mu 811's" Suitable output iron
would be a bit rare too. Though I s'pose you could put nine of them in
parallel for the mother of all cathode followers...

73 Nigel VK3ZNQ