BPL Interference (long)

Nigel Holmes 03 9626 1914 fax 03 9626 1899 holmes.nigel at ABC.NET.AU
Thu Aug 7 02:23:52 EDT 2003

In Australia the agency equivalent to FCC is the ACA and it refers to
BPL as PLC (powerline communications). Here the allowable freq range is
3-148 kHz for digital control and > 525 kHz for digital communications
including video to domestic subscribers which is the primary PLC market
according to local sources. Here's a quote from an ACA Fact Sheet on the
subject from June 2002:

"PLC equipment comes under Compliance Level 2—the compliance level for a
medium risk device. To comply with Compliance Level 2, the supplier of
the device must: 1. prepare a description of the device; 2. make a
Declaration of Conformity for the device; and 3. demonstrate conformity
with the applicable standard by testing or technical assessment.
In-house testing will be acceptable for this compliance level. Please
note: the ACA currently has no mandatory standards for PLC equipment
that transmits information on frequencies above 525 kHz. Although there
are no standards at present, penalties apply in accordance with section
197 of the Radiocommunications Act 1992 to a person or company who
knowingly or recklessly causes interference to radiocommunications
services."

PLC tests are due to commence end of this month.

73 Nigel VK3ZNQ