Cheyenne MT-1 High Jinx

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 21 18:38:10 EST 2003

On my Apache, DX-100, WRL Globe Champion 350A,
Hammarlund HX-50A, Collins 32S-1, Collins 32S-3,
Hallicrafters HT-20, and several other "boat anchor"
transmitters, they do NOT go into a transmit mode when
I put the mode switch in either the AM, sideband, or
CW position!

All but my Heath SB-401 you have to activate some sort
of switch.  The Collins 32S-1 and 32S-3 you have to
work the push-to-talk circuit which I also do with a
foot switch on my SB-401 to eliminate "dropping out"
between words on CW or else taking too long to recover
if I set the VOX to where it stays in between words.

My Apache has a SEPARATE plate switch that has to be
activated to place the transmitter in the transmit
position no matter if it is on AM or CW.  My DX-100
has a separate plate switch that has to be activated
to place the transmitter in the transmit position no
matter if it is on AM or CW.  My HT-20 has a separate
plate switch that has to be activated to place the
transmitter in the transmit position no matter if it
is on AM or CW.  My WRL Globe Champion 350A has a
separate plate switch that has to be activated to
place the transmitter in the transmitter position no
matter if it is on AM or CW.  My Hammarlund HX-50A has
a separate rotary switch that controls several
different functions including placing the transmitter
in the transmit position (but, the mode switch is
completely separate from this switch).  And so on!

The MT-1 Cheyenne used a push-to-talk relay in place
of the plate switch.  My WRL Globe Champion 350A has a
push-to-talk relay in parallel with the front panel
plate switch so that I can use push-to-talk on AM
phone (or CW for that matter) if I so desire.  Johnson
had a modification for the Ranger transmitter to add a
push-to-talk relay in parallel with the plate switch
so that you could use the switch on your microphone to
activate the transmitter.

Just wire a toggle switch in parallel with the
push-to-talk switch on your microphone.  Place it in
the "on" position when you wish to transmit CW with
the MT-1 Cheyenne!  Turn the switch off when you wish
to go to receive.  Or, use a second plug with only the
push-to-talk connections connected to a toggle switch.
 Due to the small size of the transmitter, and the
fact that it was designed for mobile use primarily,
Heath did not put a separate plate switch on the unit.

Frankly, after the plate transformer went out on my
original DX-100 back in 1966 I modified my Cheyenne
transmitter to use with a Heath SB-10 for SSB.  It
worked great!  The VFO is more stable in the Cheyenne
than the DX-100 although it only put out about half as
much power (single 6146 compared to dual 6146 tubes).

CW is an "after thought" on the Cheyenne, but it works
very well.  The fact that Heath did not put in a
separate plate switch is only a minor point that can
be rectified by putting a toggle switch across the
push-to-talk line.

Glen, K9STH

--- Brian Carling <bcarling at CFL.RR.COM> wrote:
> On 21 Dec 2003 at 11:38, Glen Zook wrote:

Wrong Glen - ther eis no plate switch in this case!

When you go from STANDY BY to AM what does it do? When
you go from STANDBY to CW what does it do????

It gets VERY uncomfortable trying to hold the PTT
button down while sending.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites