Cheyenne MT-1 High Jinx

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Sun Dec 21 18:14:01 EST 2003

On 21 Dec 2003 at 11:38, Glen Zook wrote:

> Remember, all of the older "boat anchor" equipment you
> had to throw the plate switch to work CW!  The
> Cheyenne was built in this era.  Thus, it is nothing
> out of the ordinary.

Wrong Glen - ther eis no plate switch in this case!

> There is not a single "boat
> anchor" that I can think of that automatically puts
> the transmitter in the transmit position when you go
> to CW.

When you go from STANDY BY to AM what does it do?
When you go from STANDBY to CW what does it do????

> The Heath SB-401 does work off the VOX when you key
> the transmitter.  However, it does not go to transmit
> when you put it in the CW position.

Right, because it has a separate switch for that,
unlike the MT-1 which does not have a TRANSMIT switch.

It gets VERY uncomfortable trying to hold the PTT button down
while sending. This is a weak design. I did however, manage a
fine CW QSO on 7043 this afternoon with W8AO up in Ohio.
Bob is 85 years ond and has been a ham for 65 years,
which certainly impressed me.
He was thrilled to hear a boatanchor brought to life!
A little drift, but otherwise it did well, hi hi!

I may get on again later this evening with it on the
7050 QRG if anyone is around.

73 to all,

Bry, AF4K