SX-100 question

Wally Gibbons rockwall at SOURCEONEINTERNET.COM
Mon Jun 2 21:26:31 EDT 2003

Greetings,
I've been working on one of these that followed me home the other day.

All the leaky black caps are gone, solved a serious rf overload problem
due to a 6CB6 having been installed in the agc controlled IF stage by
the previous owner.

IF alignment went OK, so I thought.

But the receive audio just has this edge, it's tiring to listen to.
Almost sounds like crossover distortion in a solid state amp. Low
frequencies sound distorted too. 6K6GT is biased normally. Still sounds
like it's overloading slightly on local AM stations too.

What's the opinion of you SX-100 owners? Is the receive audio even
"good" on these receivers? I'd classify it as poor....I know it's only a
5khz IF bandwidth, I'm not expecting Hi Fi, but this just doesn't sound
"right".

Any comments appreciated. If it's normal, so be it. But I can't quite
believe it's normal.

Thanks.

Wally Gibbons, WB7ASQ
North Logan, Utah