Collins S-Line on 60 meteres

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 1 20:43:59 EDT 2003

I have been doing some experimentation on the new 60
meter band (using a dummy load for brief transmitting,
of course - not putting anything on the air) with one
of my S-Lines.  Although an 8455 KHz crystal
oscillates OK when used on band 1 (normally 80 meter),
the receive sensitivity is somewhat down.  Also, the
transmitter will not tune at all.

When using band 2 (normally 40 meter), the receiver
sensitivity is excellent and the transmitter tunes
fine.  The preselector reading on my 75S-3A was about
2 and the transmitter (32S-3) exciter tuning was
between 1 and 1.5.  The final dipped out between 1 and
2.  You can tune the final to the second harmonic
which is around 9 on the dial so be careful.

On the preselector overlays that I make the section
for band 2 starts at 5 MHz while the one for band 1
ends at 5 MHz.  This turns out to be fairly accurate.

I haven't put a crystal in either of my 75S-1
receivers nor checked on my 32S-1 transmitter.
However, they should be pretty close to what the
75S-3A and 32S-3 are.

Glen, K9STH

=====
Glen, K9STH