[Boatanchors] ALERT: AM Under Attack - WA3VJB

Colburn kd4e at ARRL.NET
Fri Jun 20 21:40:20 EDT 2003

> >         Now 2.8KHz for SSB and 5.6 KHz for AM are now equivalent audio
> > bandwidths. 6KHz is more appropriate.
> With a proper BFO setting a 2.8 kHzx BW for SSB would be
> transmitted audio freqs of 300 to 3100 Hz. Thus the proper
> AM BW would be 6.2 kHz to get up to 3100 Hz in the audio
> response.  John  KK6IL

I agree that 2.8 is lots easier to listen to than 2.4! (Even though QRM
frequently makes 2.4 necessary.) A max of 3.0 would allow for a little
breathing room.

Please explain why an AM signal (DSB with carrier) would require so much
more than double the same bandwidth to duplicate SSB.  I really do not
know.

If the numbers really work that way then for the sake of boatanchor ops
we need 3.0KHz SSB and 6.2KHz AM in the proposal.  [Just in case the FCC
takes this seriously we should make the argument for reasonable specs.
We dare not wistfully assume they won't!]

Thanks! & 73, doc  kd4e