TR-4

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jun 24 10:13:58 EDT 2003

Don / Joe -

Most of these films are an ugly (to me at least) blue.  There is
someone who sells a kit of the white and blue filters, but it is a
yukky dark blue!

If you have a theater lighting supply house nearby, the Lee Lighting
No. 172 gel is a perfect color match to the original Drake filter
material.  It is a little thinner than the original, but the white
diffusion filter is thick enough so that everything stays in place.  A
24" x 20" sheet is less than $6.00.

Another supplier is Rosco lighting, their Roscolene #853 is supposed
to be the material that Drake used, but I have never seen it.  My
local supplier doesn't carry Rosco.  About the same price as the Lee
material.

The filtered light turns green with age for two reasons.  One is that
the original IS a blue-green shade.  The other is that the blue fades
to a lighter and lighter color, and the white filter tends to yellow
with age.  Blue + Yellow = Green.  A new white diffusion filter will
turn them blue again, just not VERY blue!  :-)

Still others have gone to blue colored LEDs.  Unfortunately the LEDs
that I have seen so far are too focused, resulting in a bright spot
near the center with rapidly fading intensity "off-axis".   The
"selling point" for the LEDs is that they have a 20,000 hour life
expectancy.  The 755 lamp rather than the original 47 is spec'd at
15,000 hours, and is a "drop-in" replacement.  I have been using 755's
in all my Drakes for over 10 years, and haven't had one die yet!

I guess I'm a Luddite when it comes to Drake's, I prefer to keep them
"as they were", warts and all!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta