Fwd: Re: OT: Substitute Transformer?

Richard Post postr at OHIOU.EDU
Tue Nov 18 16:25:27 EST 2003

Paul,

Building a power supply for the SP-200 is not all that difficult
unless you insist it must look like the original.  The set looking
for 380 volts DC at 50 ma, 250 volts at 100 ma, 100 volts at 10 ma,
-50 volts at 11 ma, and 6.3 volts AC at 7.5 amps. The 380 and 250 are
not all that critical.  You can run the receiver on just 250 if
needed.

I've built two power supplies, one of which is modified from a
defunct tube-type color TV chassis.  No rectifier tubes in either of
those.

<http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/R_129rst.htm>

<http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/SP210bk.htm>

If you want one with tube rectifiers, the type 80 is looking for 2
amps at 5 volts and the 5Z3 needs a 3 amp winding at 5 volts for its
filament.

My third SP-200, a military BC-779, has the traditional tubed power
supply with the very hard-to-find chokes.  Though all three power
supplies are different in appearance with design for two of them
based upon junk-box availability, all three perform the same function.

Just saw the note from Greg W9GB so am copying this note to him.

73,
Rich
Boatanchor Pix - KB8TAD
<http://switch.to/BA>