TS820S Repair Questions

Mike Sanders k0az at SOFNET.COM
Sat Jan 17 12:44:39 EST 2004

Its the ground wiper on the back of the variable capacitor in the vfo box.
Break
the oxidation barrier with cleaning and the vfo should go back to being very
stable.

                      K0AZ
Mike Sanders   18169 Highway 174
   MT Vernon, MO   65712-9171
        Emergency Coordinator
      Lawrence County Missouri
                k0az at arrl.net
   6 Meter DXCC #436 WAZ #27
  WAS #1094 WAC  WAJD  VUCC

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Brian Carling
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 6:50 AM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: TS820S Repair Questions

Hi guys,

I have a newly acquired TS820S and the VFO is jumping
around pretty badly most of the time.

I also noticed that the "tumblers" for the 100 kHz positions
on the analog dial are not correct either.
They start coming out at 140 kHz instead of at 100 kHz.

The VFO jumping is a separate issue. At first I thought it was dirt
switches - either
the function switch or band switch.
But then I noticed as I get higher up the dial, even the tuning dial
itself will cause it to suddenly jump from say 7160 kHz to 7885 kHz.

Does anyone have any ideas about where I might start looking for the problem
so I
can fix it?

The rig was in storage for several years and prior to that had supposedly
worked
just fine.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks - Bry, AF4K