How does it work?

J. Forster jfor at QUIK.COM
Mon Jul 19 12:22:40 EDT 2004

If you think about a tuned circuit, driven by a sinusoidal steady state sine
wave, the phase of the tuned circuit depends on the relationship between the
driving frequency and the resonant frequency. Thus, the relative phase can be
adjusted in the design phase by making the reed resonant above or below the line
frequency. IMO, they likely used a 'cut and try' approach. It was likely tuned
so that the transformer was only conected to the battery during the peak of the
sine wave.

BTW, this 'pulse charging' was likely good for the lead acid batteries of the
day, to prevent sulphation. The thing is rated at 6 A, so the pulse current was
likely several times that.

A down side of the design is that the thing would be line frequency dependent, a
issue in the early days but not now.  OTOH, it probably worked well enough.

Apparently, these devices were used in small telephone exchanges to charge the
batteries, (jackiv)  although I don't think that was this one's intended
purpose. Telephones tend to use 48 VDC, not 6 VDC.

-John