EICO 723 question regarding meter action

Bob And Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Mon Jun 28 00:10:43 EDT 2004

I have been working over a nice, clean 723 for a friend prior to putting
it on Ebay for sale.  I decided to make sure everything was working so I
did a little checking out on it.  Had to replace the PS electrolytics -
not unexpected. However when I went to actually transmit with it, the
meter is behaving quite wierdly - the meter pointer action is very
'underdamped' - when you key the transmitter on, the meter pointer (in
either grid or plate position) bounces for several seconds before
settling in. Overshoot is maybe 40 to 50%. Very disconcerting! I've
checked the waveforms with a fast oscilloscope and everything looks
great - no parasistic oscillations, etc.  The meter just acts as if it
is grossly underdamped.

I have no experience with the EICO 723.  Is this normal for this rig?  I
thought of experimenting with an RC network (or maybe just C) but also
thought someone on the lists might be able to shed some light on this.

I extended this to the Heathkit list - a little off topic but I hope no
one minds.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKy