Vomax info

Kenneth Grimm kgrimm at ADELPHIA.NET
Fri Nov 5 16:15:01 EST 2004

peter A markavage wrote:

>Jim Fisk, Editor-in-Chief of Ham Radio Magazine, did a review of this
>speech processor designed by Max Fuchs which evolved into the Vomax
>series, SBP-3, SBP-3C, and SBP-4 (there may have been others), in Ham
>Radio Magazine in June 1976, page 30. Max originally worked for National.
>Neither the article nor the manuals for these various models ever
>included a complete schematic for the various models that I can recall.
>
>Pete, wa2cwa
>www.manualman.com
>
>On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:30:02 -0500 Bob <ramcleod at COMCAST.NET> writes:
>

>>To the group,  The Vomax that I an seeking info for is a Speech
>>Processor,
>>originally made by Maximillian Associates, later sold by Alpha.  The
>>unit I
>>have appears to be a SBP-3.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,  Bob  KA1DFO

The Fisk review was followed in the September 1979 issue of Ham Radio by
an excellent theory and construction article by Wes Stewart, N7WS,
called "Split Band Speech Processor."  The circuit must have been pretty
close to the Vomax as it generated a response, published in the February
1980 issue from Walter Schreurer of Maximillian Associates.

I built Stewart's split band processor and A/B tested it against my
Vomax.  The sound was similar but not exactly the same.  Both generally
got good to excellent reviews from listeners who were not congenitally
opposed to any kind of audio processing.  8*)

I honestly can't remember whether the schematic for the Vomax was
included or not, but I'm inclined to think Pete is right.

73,

--
Ken K4XL
k4xl at arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr