ARRL Ruins the AM, CW and DIGITAL bands.

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Tue Oct 26 19:42:04 EDT 2004

On 26 Oct 2004 at 9:36, W2AGN wrote:

> It seems that the ARRL's plan for allowing unattended robot Pactor
> stations to basically operate without regard to ongoing communications
> has been proposed so the their rich yacht yuppie friends that are
> cruising the oceans can have free access to internet email via the
> Winlink system that is operated on tha amateur HF bands !  They have
> even
> encouraged some of these yacht yuppies to get their ham license just so
> the could use this service.  Yes, you read that right !  The ARRL is
> wanting non hams that cruise the oceans in expensive yachts with six
> digit price tags to get their license just so they can get free email
> while on the ocean despite the fact that these people can afford more
> efficient satelite email service and do the same thing !  I think it's
> high time that ALL hams let our so called "only game in town that is
> supposed to be working for our common good" called the ARRL to keep
> email
> on the internet and off amateur radio !  The operation that they are
> proposing, will allow unattended Pactor robot stations to transmit and
> interfere with ongoing communications without you being able to do
> anything about it !  That means that if you are working that rare DX
> station and a Pactor robot station fires up on the same frequency you
> are
> working the DX station on, you will have no recourse in resolving the
> problem because the Pactor station will be within their full legal right
> to do so !  Please, lets flood the ARRL directors with email telling
> them
> that we do not want this to be put into effect.  You can get the email
> addresses for each director from the ARRL website, so let them know how
> you feel, and please pass this on to every ham you know !
> --
>  +-+ +-+ +-+ +-+ +-+  John L. Sielke
>  |W| |2| |A| |G| |N|  w2agn at w2agn.net

You are 100% correct John.

I am glad that the word is getting out about this travesty - at least
among a FEW hams with  backbone.

The other thing is that this German company is getting
about $1500 to $1600 EACH for the special modem for
this invasive, nasty mode AND getting tax payers to BUY
them for the hams in many cases!

Many local ARES groups have been sold this bill of goods
as a de facto ARRL Standard digital mode even though the vast
majority of keyboarding ops have chosen PSK31 and MT63
etc. as preferred modes for obvious reasons!
($39 sound card interface versus $1800 modem!)

I believe that we ar being betrayed. I smell a rat.
A multi-million dollar one, that has seduced
Newington. My ARRL representatives have ignored my
comments and many others. The ARRL Digital Committee
has ignored sound advice, and members resigned in disgust.

It's too late, BUT we will remember this sell-out behavior
the next time that there is an election of ARRL officers!