ARRL Ruins the AM, CW and DIGITAL bands.

Perry Ballinger w8au at SSSNET.COM
Wed Oct 27 22:01:30 EDT 2004

At 08:31 AM 10/27/04, John wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Brian Carling wrote:
>

> > I believe that we ar being betrayed. I smell a rat.
> > A multi-million dollar one, that has seduced
> > Newington.

et al......

Gents:

The Winlink system using the German modem that handles Pactor 1 through 3
is the
fastest thing going for data transfer via HF, and it allows served agencies
to interface
with their ham radio communicators easily.  The German group patented the
modes 2
and 3 (much higher speeds) and will not license anyone else to manufacture
modems
with these features.

At present this is the "only show in town" (used also by Coastal stations
serving the
commercial Merchant Marine ships)  and we can either keep up with the state
of the art for HF data transfer and be a viable asset to our communities,
or we can
let some other agency do our job for us and lose our justification for
existence.
It goes along with the old acronym PICON....  we exist because of Public
Interest,
Convenience and Necessity.

I don't think there is any "sell out" involved....

FWIW,

Perry    w8au