GB> FCC NPRM

Ed Tanton n4xy at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jul 21 20:13:31 EDT 2005

I'm really curious Fred what it is that you believe to be so mystical
about learning the code? 8 year old kids have done it for decades. I
don't mind if you disagree, that's what healthy discourse is all
about... but where in MY comments did I bring up MY accomplishments?
Too many folks these days think they can excuse a personal attack by
tacking on: "with all due respect". Rudeness is rudeness, regardless
of the way you dress it up (obviously a pet peeve about that phrase.)

As far as EME and Antenna Phasing, the point is that they matter in
the overall subject of Amateur Radio, and I do not choose to define
which area is more important than another. I LIKE CW, but I don't
discourage-or disparage-SSB. In fact, people said the very same
things about SSB when it was introduced into the ARRL Handbook (and
subsequently into the FCC exams) so far ahead of its almost universal
adoption as THE voice method on HF.

Also, there was never any mention of disrespect for NON-hams. It was
YOUR CHOICE to learn the code or not. Does that somehow make you less
of a nice guy? Less of a person to not be a ham? Of course not. Does
it make you lazy? I really don't think so. It simply states that, as
the rules were laid out, you did not choose to pay the price in time
and effort to learn the code (and I guess the theory-I suspect it was
code that you took issue with.) That was EXACTLY what I said: effort
vs achievement to paraphrase it somewhat.

I HAVE heard of folks who supposedly COULD NOT learn the code. I've
always wondered about that-and them. Mind you, I've never met one who
tried and failed. Maybe you did. You are correct about methodology,
however. There WERE several folks I knew in the 80s who finally
managed it when the cassettes came out-but none (personally) who
utterly failed. Maybe there's some sort of disability as yet
undescribed in any scientific literature that is behind it. Well, it
won't matter any more now, will it?

But don't tell me I am disparaging non-hams: it just ain't so. I do
my share of plain old SWL, and simply consider people who CHOOSE to
LISTEN and not TRANSMIT to be more INTERESTED in LISTENING than
TALKING. That's all. Not better, not worse, than "hams"-just
different. It could even be said that there are times when listening
is better than talking. Like now for example. I don't want to wind up
having some sort of flame-thing/etc. so any replies I make on this
subject from now on will only be individually addressed.

Only one last comment: lighten up folks... it's only a hobby.

72/73 Ed Tanton N4XY <n4xy at earthlink.net>
Reflector Manager For:

[NoGaQRP]          [Argonaut Users Group]
[CW] [EICO] [JPS] [JRC] [MIZUHO] [SBE]
[JOHNSON] [RACAL] [TMC]  [WINRADIO]
[TMI-RFI-EMI]  [Ham ELMER]   [PACTOR]
Ed Tanton N4XY