DX100B Restoration

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 3 11:26:13 EST 2005

Bry -

The DX-100 VFO is essentially the VF-1.   This VFO as designed is quite
capable of chirp-free, drift-free (for it's era), operation.   Changing
the VR tube voltage or regulating the plate voltage have little or no
effect.  It is an Electron Coupled Oscillator, and the plate voltage has
no effect on the oscillator, and very little on the loading.

Part of the drift problem is a result of the temperature variations in
the DX-100, both warm-up (at least an hour because of the huge mass of
metal), and from transmit to receive.  The latter is especially
noticeable with AM "old buzzard" transmissions.

Solder, mounting hardware, and especially the bus wiring are all
contributors (or detractors) of stability.  Make sure the bus wiring
especially is well soldered and not "under tension" from
point-to-point.  It also is a good idea to "exercise" the trimmer caps a
little and verify the ground connection.  DON'T over tighten the
mounting hardware, they will break!  A little liquid Deoxit on the
switch contacts and tube pins ONLY.  DON'T spray anything all over
everywhere.

Replacing the 2.2k 1/2W resistor in the grid circuit with a 1W helped,
both with drift and minor instability, and probably a carbon film would
be even better today.

The silver mica caps are reliable, but some have replaced them with
Dur-Mica's.

A GOOD VR tube is essential, just because they glow doesn't mean they
are stable.  Many "dither" a few volts.

Selection of a GOOD 6AU6A is also necessary.  There is a BIG difference
from tube to tube, even "new" ones, especially with regard to chirp.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

Drake C-Line Service Manual
<http://hr99.home.mindspring.com/R-4C_Servicez/>